Wednesday, July 9, 2008

dancing goats and david sedaris

While walking home with my beautiful friend Soo and my roommate Neil near Yorkville, Soo makes a casual observation that makes me stop and screech like a madwoman with her hair on fire.

"Hey look, David Sedaris is coming."

"OH MY GOD WHAT, DAVID SEDARIS IS COMING TO TORONTO? WHAT? WHAT?!!"

And as I say this, I am already whipping out my cellphone so that I can schedule it to remind me: July 10, 7 PM. David Sedaris. My love since high school.

If you have never read any of his books, namely Me Talk Pretty One Day, Naked, or Santaland Diaries (in my opinion his three best), then you don't know what you've been missing. He writes essays, mostly autobiographical but with so much witty insight and humorous flourish that you find yourself unable to hold your laughter in. I literally had to control my laughter once on the bus, reading Naked. He's just that funny. But then again, I suppose a disclaimer is necessary here: his humor is of the dry, acerbic kind-- if you tend to enjoy more bathroom humor, you may not enjoy his writing so much.

But as for me, you know where I'll be tomorrow, at 6 pm. I will be camped out in front of Indigo on Bay and Bloor, with butterflies in my stomach.

And, on a completely unrelated note, here is a charming little tidbit I found out on coffee:

"Coffee use can be traced at least to as early as the 9th century, when it appeared in the highlands of Ethiopia. According to legend, Ethiopian shepherds were the first to observe the influence of the caffeine in coffee beans when the goats appeared to "dance" and to have an increased level of energy after consuming wild coffee berries."

Coffee is the one thing I will never give up. I tried a few times, with little success. Nothing really has the same effect on me as coffee does- sleep, energy teas, fruit, et cetera.

Besides, anything that makes goats dance cannot be a bad thing. Don't you agree?

No comments: